I used to avoid salads at all costs because I always thought they were boring, and they never left me feeling satisfied. But now that I’m trying to keep my cholesterol low, I’ve realised that salads are a great way to fit lots of cholesterol-reducing foods into one meal.
After a lot of trial and error, I’ve found the perfect combination of ingredients that are easy to put together, keep me satisfied, help to lower my cholesterol and, most importantly, taste delicious!
The most important ingredient in this salad is the basil infused olive oil. It’s my absolute favourite salad dressing that requires no preparation whatsoever, and best of all, it helps to lower cholesterol. I get this one from Tesco, which costs about £2:-
This salad is great if you want a healthy, delicious cholesterol-friendly meal in a hurry. The only thing you actually need to chop is the tomatoes, and even those don’t really need chopping if you’re really short of time, or want to save on washing up.
5 Minute Superfood Salmon Salad
- Serves: 1
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 0 mins
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1 cooked salmon fillet (see notes)
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 2 handfuls of rocket
- 4 big sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of houmous (optional)
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- 8 olives (my favourite are Kalamata)
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, soya or kidney beans
- Basil-infused olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Put the spinach and rocket on a plate, then add the tomatoes, beans and olives.
- Place a few dollops of houmous around the edge of the plate (if using).
- Add the salmon and sprinkle the seeds over everything.
- Finally drizzle the oil over the whole lot, then season to taste. Et voila!
- I use salmon in this recipe because it’s rich in healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which can help to raise your good cholesterol levels (HDL). But you can use anything really, as long as it’s low in saturated fat, e.g. tuna, chicken or turkey.
- If I don’t have any cooked meat to use, I’ll leave it out, then double the amount of beans and add a bit more houmous instead. Beans are great at actively lowering cholesterol, so the more you eat, the better!
- Click here to download a printable pdf of this recipe.
One thought on “The 5 Minute Superfood Salad That Will Help To Lower Your Cholesterol”
[…] Salad | BBC Good Food 2. Lemony Chickpea Salad with Chickpeas and Avocado | The Kitchen Girl 3. Superfood Salmon Salad | Apples and Beans 4. Turkey Bagel Sandwich | Diabetes Forecast 5. Tuscan Bean Soup | Better Homes […]
Comments are closed.