Smoothies are one of the easiest ways to fit lots of cholesterol-reducing foods into your daily diet. This smoothie contains 4 of the top cholesterol-lowering foods:-
Apples are rich in pectin, a soluble fibre that helps to lower ‘bad’ cholesterol (LDL). They are also rich in antioxidants, and obviously count towards your 5 a day.
Oats are also rich in soluble fibre, helping to lower cholesterol, and they also keep you fuller for longer, making them a great addition to smoothies.
3. Ground Flaxseeds
Ground flaxseeds contain cholesterol-reducing fibre, as well as healthy fats that can help to increase ‘good’ choleserol (HDL).
Almonds are rich in monounsaturated fats, which can help to lower ‘bad’ cholesterol and increase ‘good’ cholesterol, as well as providing tons of other nutrients.
It also contains mango and carrot, which add even more dietary fibre to help lower cholesterol. And if you want to increase the cholesterol-reducing benefits even more, you could use soya yoghurt instead of dairy yoghurt.
Apple & Mango Smoothie
- Makes 1 serving
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1 medium apple
- 1/3 fresh mango or frozen mango chunks
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 tbsp almond butter (no added sugar)
- 2 tbsp fat free natural yoghurt
- 1/2 cup water or semi-skimmed milk
- Chop the apple, mango and carrot into chunks, and add to your smoothie maker or bowl to blend ingredients in.
- Add the other ingredients in the order listed above.
- Blitz until all the fruit is blended.
- You can make adjustments, depending on your personal preferences:-
- If you want it thicker, add some more yoghurt and blend again.
- If you want it thinner, add some more water, and blend again.
- If you want it sweeter, add some honey or maple syrup and blend again.
- If you want to up the protein, add protein powder and blend again.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy for breakfast or as a snack.
Click here to download a printable pdf of this recipe.
One thought on “The Healthiest Cholesterol-Reducing Apple & Mango Smoothie”
Hello matte nice post