This is my go-to lunch at weekends when I want a quick, healthy and filling meal. It contains apples, which are one of the top cholesterol-lowering foods, and avocados, which contain monounsaturated fats that help to increase good cholesterol.
The tuna and cottage cheese provide lots of protein, and go really well with the apples. I’d recommend using wholewheat pasta instead of white pasta, as you can’t really tell the difference in this recipe and it adds extra fibre, which helps to lower cholesterol.
Tuna, Apple & Avocado Pasta Salad
- Makes 2 servings
- Preparation time: 4 mins
- Cooking time: 10-12 mins
- Difficulty: Easy
- 3 handfuls uncooked wholewheat pasta
- 2 small apples, chopped
- 2 x 120g tinned flaked tuna, drained
- 1/2 large avocado, chopped
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 200g low fat cottage cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Boil the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, put the chopped apples, tuna, chopped avocado, mayonnaise and cottage cheese in a large bowl and mix together.
- Once the pasta is cooked to your liking, drain it, then rinse it in a colander with cold water until the pasta is cold to touch.
- Add the cold pasta to the other ingredients in the bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Click here to download a printable pdf of this recipe.