Sticking to a low cholesterol diet can be really hard if everyone else in your family is still eating ‘normally’. So if you can find cholesterol-friendly meals that the rest of your family will also enjoy, then it’ll make things a lot easier.
My family eat the same cholesterol-friendly meals as I do, but I make small adjustments to their portions just before serving. For example:-
- Add a dollop of full fat greek yoghurt to their breakfast.
- Add grated cheese to their pasta dishes.
- Add cheese slices to their burgers.
- Add soured cream to their fajitas/tacos.
- Add a dollop of soft cheese to their curries and risottos.
There’s no need to spend ages preparing cholesterol-friendly meals for your family every day though, as there are some really quick and simple options that your kids will enjoy. For example:-
- A bowl of shredded wheat with banana slices.
- Baked beans on toast, or on a jacket potato.
- A ‘no added sugar’ peanut or almond butter sandwich
- Wholemeal pitta bread slices with a houmous dip.
- Oatcakes with peanut butter and mashed banana.
If you do have a bit more time then try some of these delicious child-friendly low cholesterol recipes:-
- Banana & Berry Porridge
- Banana Bread Overnight Oats
- Cherry Bakewell Porridge
- Eggy Bread with Maple Syrup
- Oat Pancake with Yoghurt & Berries
- Peanut Butter & Banana Overnight Oats
- Baked Salmon Fishcakes
- Chickpea Meatball Subs (v)
- Hoisin Chicken/Turkey Wraps
- Jumbo Chickpea Pancake with Fillings (v)
- Moroccan Chicken Salad Pitas
- Tuna, Apple & Avocado Pasta Salad
- Turkey & Cranberry Pita Pockets
- Almond & Banana Milkshake
- Apple Turtle Snacks
- Banana & Oat Cookies
- Houmous & Turkey Rollups
- Nutty Apple ‘Sandwiches’
- Salted Chocolate Nutty Oatcakes
- Strawberry & Watermelon Smoothie
- Baked Turkey Courgette Meatballs
- Chicken & Mushroom Pie
- Chickpea & Coriander Burgers (v)
- Chinese Sweet & Sour Chicken
- Creamy Mushroom Risotto (v)
- Easy Sweet & Sour Fish
- Healthy Beef Burgers *
- Italian Beef Meatballs *
- Oven-Baked Fish & Chips
- Sausage & Bean Casserole
- Spaghetti Bolognese *
- Spanish Stuffed Peppers (v)
- Sun-Dried Tomato & Chicken Pasta
- Sweet Potato Salmon Cakes
- Tandoori Chicken Burgers
- Turkey Burgers
- Turkey Pasta Bolognese
* use extra lean beef mince
- Baked Sweet Potato Wedges
- Carrot & Sweet Potato Fries
- Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Healthy Egg Fried Rice
- Oven Baked Potato Slices
- Potato-Avocado Salad
- Black Bean Chocolate Brownies *
- Cinnamon Bananas
- Crunchy Apple Crumble
- Frozen Banana Yoghurt Bites
- Frozen Rainbow Fruit Kebabs
- One Ingredient Tangerine Sorbet
- 3 Ingredient Chocolate Ice Cream
*Note, for this recipe I use 70% dark chocolate pieces instead of chocolate chips, and olive oil rather than coconut oil.