There are plenty of breakfast options for a cholesterol-lowering diet because a lot of traditional breakfast foods, like oats and high fibre cereals, naturally lower cholesterol.
If you’re after a quick cholesterol-lowering breakfast that you can prepare in minutes, then the best options are high fibre toast, oatcakes or ryvitas with simple toppings, or high fibre breakfast cereals.
Here are my favourite quick breakfasts that can help to lower cholesterol:-
- ‘Alpen No Added Sugar’ with low fat natural yoghurt.
- Baked beans on high fibre toast (see this post for options).
- High fibre toast with avocado slices & a pinch of salt.
- Nestle Shredded Wheat with flaked almonds & semi-skimmed milk.
- Oatcakes with sugar free peanut butter & a pinch of salt.
- Post Grape Nuts with blueberries & fat free berry soya yoghurt.
- Seeded Ryvitas with smashed avocado & smoked salmon.
- Rolled oats soaked overnight with semi-skimmed milk & grated apple.
- Seeded high fibre toast with banana slices & sugar free almond butter.
- Weetabix with sliced bananas, a drizzle of honey & semi-skimmed milk.
Note:- I use 100% peanut butter and almond butter with no added sugar or oil – see this post for examples.
Overnight Oat Recipes
Overnight oats are another great cholesterol-lowering breakfast option for busy mornings because you prepare them the night before. Oats are one of the top cholesterol-lowering foods, so eating them every day can be hugely beneficial for your heart health.
Here are some easy overnight oat breakfast recipes that can help to lower your cholesterol:-
- Banana & Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Banana Bread Overnight Oats
- Blueberry & Almond Overnight Oats
- Cinnamon Apple Overnight Oats
- Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats
Porridge (Oatmeal) Recipes
Although porridge/oatmeal can be prepared quickly in the microwave (see instructions here), I personally think it tastes best when cooked in a saucepan.
Here are some of the best cholesterol-lowering breakfast porridge/oatmeal recipes:-
- Apple & Cinnamon Porridge
- Banana & Honey Porridge
- Cherry Bakewell Porridge
- Creamy Apricot Oatmeal
- Creamy Tahini Porridge
- Quinoa Porridge with Berries
- Vanilla Fig Oatmeal with Pistachios
Smoothies are a really easy way to fit lots of cholesterol-lowering foods into your breakfast, like oats, apples and nuts.
Here are some simple and delicious breakfast smoothie recipes that can help to lower your cholesterol:-
- Apple & Mango Smoothie
- Apple, Pear & Avocado Smoothie
- Apple Crisp Smoothie
- Banana Almond Flax Smoothie
- Banana Oat Smoothie
- Blackberry & Date Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Espresso Smoothie
- Strawberry & Watermelon Smoothie
Savoury Breakfast Recipes
I like to have something a bit different at weekends when I have a bit more time to prepare breakfast and enjoy it properly. These savoury breakfast recipes taste great, are really healthy and can also help to lower your cholesterol:-
- Avocado on Toast with Smoked Salmon
- Bean, Potato & Veg Breakfast Hash
- Black Bean Fajita Omelette
- Chickpea Scramble Breakfast Bowl
- Mushroom Bean Avocado Toast
- Tofu & Black Bean Breakfast Tacos
- Skillet Potatoes with Garlic Mushrooms
- Smoky Beans on Seeded Toast
- Spiced Chickpea & Avocado Toast
Baked Oatmeal Recipes
Baked oatmeal is another great alternative breakfast for weekends and it can feed the whole family. Adding fruit, nuts and seeds to oatmeal makes it the perfect cholesterol-lowering breakfast, and you can eat any cold leftovers as a snack.
These are my favourite cholesterol-lowering baked oatmeal recipes:-
- Baked Pecan & Pumpkin Oatmeal
- Banana, Blueberry & Raisin Baked Oatmeal
- Pear & Ginger Baked Oatmeal Bar
- Pumpkin Pie Baked Oatmeal Cups
If none of the above recipes take your fancy, then here are some alternatives:-
- Apple & Blueberry Bircher Muesli
- Baked Breakfast Apples
- Banana & Oat Pancakes
- Banana Quinoa Muffins
- Berry & Nut Crisp
- Lemon Vanilla Bean Rawnola
- Peanut Butter Chia Pudding
- Quinoatmeal with Apple & Walnuts